Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Today, oh, today

We were asked to call the hospital today at 7:30am. We did, and they said they had room for me and we should come at 8. We made it around 8:15, being that we had to wake up fully and drive in to town, and played the usual paperwork rigamarole. Once we got to the maternity ward, we were let into triage and set up with a room. They gave me prostoglandin (a hormone that starts labor), then J and I chilled out in the ward for a couple of hours while they monitored contractions and the baby's heart beat. We got sent home until something happened.

I took a shower and a nap this afternoon and did some laundry, while Jeremie's been working on one of his projects down in the robot room. He's taking the LCD monitor off of an old broken mini-DVD player we have to make a portable mini-monitor. We'll see how it turns out!

I've been noticing contractions since about 5:45, but we have to time them for an hour to see if they're consistent, and how far apart they are, and how long they're for. If they keep coming, we get to go back to the hospital for the evening. If they go away, we get to go into the hospital tomorrow morning again for more drugs.

So at the moment I'm surfing online, with the computer clock open on my second monitor so I can note down contraction times and durations. And eating some yummy leftovers. Mmm, leftovers.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Martha I can't wait anymore!! Haha, just kidding, I am sure you are feeling more impatient that all of us. I will be praying for you, and hope to hear the news soon!

Shelly said...

Pauline told me the big news! Congratulations! PS - can you be sure to tell me when the baby shower is? Incase Brit forgets. Thanks!