Monday, August 17, 2009

Our family with Jasper the Bear

We went camping just outside of Jasper the weekend before last, in William Switzer national park. We met up with my parents and sibs, and had a grand ol' time. We didn't pack the weekend too full, but did find time for a guided nature walk, a little tramp around Kelly's Bathtub (a small, warm-for-the-mountains) lake, and a trip to Miette Hot Springs. Cade was really good at the hot springs, and maintained a neutral expression for a half hour while being trucked around in the warm water. The hot springs were great, since it was an outdoor pool - we could enjoy the beauty of the mountains while soaking in some nice warm water.

We tented. It worked out pretty well, actually. The first night was cold, so the next morning Jeremie went out and bought a sleeping bag to zip together with mine, and the next night was wonderfully warm. We bundled Cade up in a winter bear suit, complete with ears and tails, and he was also snug and cozy while he slept. I'm sure glad we didn't see any real bears, though! They have a reportedly can be rather vicious.

We all took turns making one meal for the group while camping, which was nice. It meant that we got to make pancakes, bacon, and scrambled eggs, and didn't have to worry about the other meals. I wholeheartedly support doing that again.

The only down point in our weekend was that Grandma Jetty and Grandpa Bill decided they couldn't make it, too. They are in their 80s and I definitely understand why they couldn't drive for so long, but it was sad not to see them there!

In other news, I called my optometrist and they should have my new glasses shipped to me this week or next. I'm so excited!

No comments: