Saturday, October 27, 2007

Where's Malldo


Where's Malldo
Originally uploaded by trippykel
Time has been skittering away from me lately on insect feet. I spent most of this past week in Edmonton, working during the day and meeting up with friends at night.

Korp was over last weekend (we had a blast), so she and I drove back to the city together. We ended up counting things to stay awake: 232 semi-trucks, 144 horses, 35 road-curve signs, 4 incidences of roadkill (yum yum), 3 cop cars, and oh so much more.

Sarah was kind enough to let me crash at her place at night, and I had the enviable position of sleeping on the hide-a-bed. It wasn't exactly comfort in a bag (too many springs), but I was supremely greatful for a place to rest my head. Hooray for Sarah!

Monday was great fun, a bunch of McKernanites met me for dinner at Red Robin's. Andy-roo, Ben, Beth, Julianna, Amy, Mrs Bienert, Korp all crowded around the table and we played catch-up. It was great to see them again: I only wish I'd had more one-on-one time!

I also took a trip to the always-splendid Ikea, to find that my kitchen timer and desk file holder were no longer being produced. I did, however, find some lovely fold-up table-chairs to use for when we have company, so that we don't have to roll our office chairs out to the kitchen table.

I took a morning off to get my passport, arrived to the passport office at 8am, thinking there wouldn't be too big a lineup, since it opens at 8am. There were already 50 people in front of me. I spoke with an agent only to find that I needed my birth certificate, and had forgotten it at home (a 4+ hour drive away). Oops. I had to find a registry office, order & wait for a noon-time-ready print, and then rush back to the office. So much for getting back to work early!

The drive home was long. I stopped a third of the way home at a rest stop to get some shut-eye. I'm always a bit afraid of waking up to someone trying to break into my car, or banging on the windows or something. I slept in the back seat (seems safer, somehow) and was awakened to a thump on my windshield. I opened bleary eyes to see a silver fox trying to climb up my windshield. You know you live in the boonies when...

The rest of the week was playing catch-up at work before my trip, since I'm now down to 2 remaining work days. Thank goodness. I really need a break, so the trip should be lovely for that!

No comments: